If southwestern cuisine is your vice, then this recipe is for you! This rice dish is full of yummy flavors and spices that are sure to liven up your vegetarian palette.
Tex Mex Rice and Beans with Zucchini
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp coconut or avocado oil
- 2 tsp taco seasoning
- 2 tsp cumin, ground
- 1 tsp coriander, ground
- 1 1/2 tsp salt (more or less to taste)
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 medium zucchini, cut in half moon shapes
- 2 cups corn (frozen or canned)
- 14 oz can black beans, rinsed & drained
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- Cilantro, green onions, tortilla chips, cheese, optional and to taste
- Cook brown rice as per package instructions. Personally, I like to cook it 1 cup rice : 1.5 cups water ratio, and for 30 minutes. This way rice comes out al dente and fluffy. The secret is not to peek inside, do not open the lid. While rice is cooking, prepare other ingredients and start cooking about half way rice is done.
- Preheat soup pot on medium heat and swirl oil to coat. Add onion and garlic, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add taco seasoning, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper, and cook for 30 seconds, stirring frequently.
- Add zucchini and cook for 3-5 minutes for al dente version or longer if you like your vegetables very soft. Add corn, black beans, diced tomatoes and fluffed with a fork previously cooked rice. Stir gently, turn off the heat and adjust seasoning and toppings to taste. Serve hot. Enjoy!